Monday, November 8, 2010

where are your hips?

I took an anatomy workshop over the weekend in Spokane with this amazing teacher.  Her name was Julie Gudmestad, and she is a physical therapist/yoga teacher.  She has written anatomy columns for yoga Journal and now she is writing an article for Yoga International.  She enlightened on my on some very simple things....I took them back to my students today.  Out of three classes there was one student who knew where the hips are in the body, due to having hip problems as a child.  So, I was able to give students an opportunity to learn! 
Here is where the hips are:  If you find your pubic bone, and then move outward from your pubic bone 3 inches on each side, that is where you will find your hips.  It is that simple...nope they are not up by your waist...or out to the side of your butt...whatever we have all been taught...check it out..go find your hips!:)

3 comments:

  1. I'm still not sure I believe you.
    P.S. Nice Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that you said that in class. I had hip surgery when I was 12 and so I tend to have a lot of problems in my hips. It is very true that alot of people don't share the same idea of where the hips actually are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont't understand why when i stretch out my "hips," I don't feel it that much in my real hips?

    ReplyDelete